Do you have that one particular hat that you no longer like because it's discolored or stained? Fear no more! Whether you have a felt or polyester hat or a white or black hat, we'll show you how to eliminate sweat stains.
To many individuals, removing sweat stains from hats can be such a challenging task, especially when they don't know what to use and what methods to incorporate.
The good news is this task only requires you to use a few household cleaning tactics, as discussed in this post. Keep reading to understand how to get sweat stains out of hats.
5 Methods to Remove Sweat Stains from Hats
- Hand Washing
- Dry Cleaning
- Washing machine
- Spot Treatment
1. How To Hand Wash a Hat to Eliminate Sweat Stains
Hand washing is the safest and best method to incorporate when contemplating getting sweat stains from hats. This method works best for cotton hats like golf hats and baseball caps.
Ensure your hat is colorfast to obtain the best results. Here are the steps to follow when using this method to clean sweat stains from hats:
- Add a tablespoon of liquid or powdered laundry detergent to a bucket or sink filled with warm water. Remember to incorporate a bleach-free detergent to prevent fading.
- Before placing the hat in the solution, spot-treat the stains using a spray stain remover.
- Put the hat in the solution and let it soak for a few hours while you stir it.
- After soaking it, please remove it from the water, and rinse it with cool water.
- Allow it to air dry but don't place it in direct sunlight.
2. How to Remove Sweat Stains Using Dry Cleaning
When learning how to remove sweat stains from hats, it’s crucial to remember that some hats get ruined with water-based cleaning techniques. For instance, felt hats don’t respond well to water. As such, you should use a dry cleaning method when washing such hats.
The dry cleaner you select should suit cleaning hats since these machines aren't all similar. Remember to reblock your hat after using the dry cleaner to restore its shape.
3. How to Get Rid Of Sweat Stains on Hats Using a Dishwasher
While this method may seem strange to some people, it can work perfectly in a few instances. This method suits hats made of jersey mesh, a mixture of polyester fabrics, or cotton.
Don't use this method if your hat has a cardboard brim. Here are the steps to follow when using this method:
- The first step is to place the hat on the top rack to protect it from the harsh heating element on the machine’s bottom.
- Add a non-bleaching detergent to the dishwasher.
- Incorporate the gentlest cycle on your dishwasher to wash the hat.
- Remove the hat from the dishwasher and allow it to air dry. Reshape it later, and enjoy!
4. How to Get Sweat Stains Out Of Hat Using a Washing Machine
You can use a washing machine to eliminate sweat stains from a few hats, even though this method isn't recommended as a first option. This method is only suitable for knit or golf hats made of cotton, washable or a twill polyester blend, or colorfast ball caps.
Don't place hats with a cardboard brim in the washing machine. Here are crucial steps to follow:
- Pretreat the hat with a stain remover if the stain is intense.
- Incorporate laundry detergent in the machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Wash the hat on a cold and gentle cycle.
- Air dry the hat completely after cleaning.
5. How to Get Sweat Stains Out Of Hats Using Spot Treatment
The spot treatment method suits leather hats you don't prefer to soak completely.
Don't attempt this technique on felt hats unless you don't mind a greasy stain look. Follow these crucial steps for this method:
- Start by pretreating the affected areas if necessary.
- Add a small amount of mild detergent to a bucket or basin filled with cool water.
- Use a clean cloth to gently rub the stain until it’s all gone after dipping the cloth in the solution.
- Use another clean cloth, rinse with cool water, to wipe away the soapy solution on the hat.
- Allow your hat to air dry completely without incorporating heat.
How to Get Sweat Stains Out Of White Hats
When contemplating how to wash a trucker hat, it's crucial to remember that white hats with stains can sometimes be difficult to clean. Not to worry, though, since you can use hydrogen peroxide to deal with this issue.
Remember to use hydrogen peroxide cautiously since it's a powerful bleaching agent.
Start by dripping some drops of this agent on the stains, then scrub with a soft bristle brush. The next thing is to allow the bleaching agent to soak on the stain for 10 minutes.
After that, rinse the bleaching agent away using cool water and let the hat air dry.
How to Prevent Sweat Stains on Hats
The most efficient way to eliminate sweat stains on your favorite hat is by avoiding sweat stains. Here are two crucial tips for incorporating to help prevent sweat stains on hats:
- Incorporate hat and cap liners
- Use a forehead/face antiperspirant
Factors to Consider Before Incorporating the Hat Cleaning Methods
Before using any cleaning method mentioned above to get sweat stains out of a hat, it's always best to proceed cautiously.
Incorporating the wrong method could result in damage to your hat. As such, it's vital to verify the following aspects:
Manufacturer’s Washing Instructions
Always follow the manufacturer's washing instructions when examining how to clean your hat. In most cases, you'll find these instructions inside the hat. However, if you don't see any tags with the washing information, find these details on the manufacturer's website.
Examining the hat material is important when finding out how to clean sweat stains on a hat. The material will guide you on the best and safest method to incorporate.
Again, you can find information on the hat material inside the hat on a tag. If you lack this tag, please visit the manufacturer's website for additional information.
Find Out If the Hat Is Colorfast
Before you remove sweat stains on the hat through cleaning, examine if the hat is colorfast. You can do this through a simple process.
Moisten a white cloth in lukewarm water and gently rub the cloth on the hat and check whether the dye runs. If you identify the dye on the cloth, avoid soaking the hat in the water while cleaning it to prevent damage.
If the dye doesn't transfer to the white cloth, it’s colorfast.
Other crucial tips to consider when contemplating how to wash sweat stains out of a hat include the following:
- Never put your washed hat in the dryer to prevent damage
- Don’t use direct sunlight to dry your hat
- Don’t wash your hat in a dishwasher containing dirty dishes
How do you get sweat stains out of a hat? This is one question many people seek answers to. We hope that this article has been of much help to assist you with this simple task.
When wondering how to get sweat stains out of black hats and many other types, as mentioned earlier, kindly refer to the methods above.