Drifter | Distressed Felt Cowboy Hat | Leather Hat Band
Ships in 1 Day - Guaranteed
Unlimited Free Exchanges | 90-Day Returns
Yes, we do mean unlimited. At American Hat Makers we want to make sure you love your hat, because it’s going to last a lifetime.
So if your hat is the wrong size or you just don’t love the style for any reason, then you can send it back for an exchange free of charge. That’s free shipping back to us and free shipping back to you.
Not sure about your fit? Call us! A real person and expert hat fitter will be on the other side of the line to answer any questions about fit, exchanges, style or returns 831-722-3324. Or click here and check out our “how to measure” guide. *Please note that any Sale items are final sale and not eligible for unlimited free exchanges.*
For full details and FAQs, click here to learn more or process an exchange.
American Hat Makers headwear is built to last a lifetime, so we want you to take your time falling in love with your new favorite hat.
Take 90-days to make sure your hat is the perfect fit and the perfect style. If for whatever reason you don’t love your hat and want to return it, we make it as easy as possible.
Just pay a small shipping and restocking fee of $9.83 (which will be automatically deducted from your refund amount), send back your hat, and you’re good to go.
Not sure about your fit? Call us! A real person and expert hat fitter will be on the other side of the line to answer any questions about fit, exchanges, style or returns 831-722-3324
For full details and FAQs, click here to learn more or process a return.
Our Hats have been seen on
- Top Grade Materials - Manufactured to the highest standard, our materials are put through rigorous testing to ensure their quality and then expertly crafted into one of our timeless designs. Our leather is supple, our felt is durable, and our straw tightly woven.
- Hats That Hold Their Shape - All American Hat Makers hats are guaranteed to hold their shape, and will not stretch or shrink with everyday wear. This mens leather cowboy hat can be restored even if it gets warped. Purchasing our lifetime refurbishment at checkout will guarantee that if your hat is accidentally damaged you can send it back to us for a painless and timely repair.
- They Fit! - Our hats fit! It sounds simple enough but with so many shapes and sizes of heads out there it can be a challenge. To overcome this obstacle we’ve designed several fit adjustment systems, all of which remain hidden behind the sweatband to keep your hat looking sharp from all angles. Check out more here.
Every one of our hats come with a 50 year guarantee. That means that if your hat fails in any way to meet your standards due to our craftsmanship then we’ll repair or replace your hat free of charge. So if your hat starts unraveling in 50 years, we’ll take it back and make it right.
Call us anytime! We don’t want to hide behind our website. We’re real people with a deep love and understanding for all of our hats; so any questions you have we’ll be ready to answer them. Need help picking out a hat? We can do that too! Not only can we help you with any questions or concerns you’re having, we can also help you find the perfect hat for your face shape and lifestyle.
We’re available 9am-5pm PST - give us a call at 831-722-3324
We dislike returns just as much as the next person, so we’ve vowed to ALWAYS make returns and exchanges painless. If you don’t like your hat, if it doesn’t fit, or you want a different one - we’ll help you. Read our full return and exchange policy here: link to return/exchange policy page.
Our Hats have been seen in
Hat Sizing Chart
Standard Sizing Chart
|Our Size||Your Head Measurement
|Standard Hat Size|
|XS||20 - 20 7⁄8||52 - 53||6 1⁄2|
|SM||21 - 21 7⁄8||54 - 55||6 7⁄8|
|MD||22 - 22 3⁄4||56 - 57||7 1/8|
|LG||22 7⁄8 - 23 1⁄2||58 - 59||7 3⁄8|
|XL||23 5⁄8 - 24 1⁄4||60 - 61||7 5⁄8|
|2X||24 3⁄8 - 24 7⁄8||62 - 63||7 7⁄8|
|3X||25 - 25 5⁄8||64 - 65||8 1⁄8|
- Grab a soft measuring tape or a piece of string (like twine or a shoelace) and a ruler or measuring tool
- Wrap a soft tape or string around your head to measure about 1/4 to 1/2 inch above your ear and about 3/4 to an 1" inch above your brow line (see image)
- Mark the tape or your string, where it intersects, with your finger.
- Record your measurement in inches or centimeters (centimeters is often more accurate)
- If you're using a string, run it along side the ruler as many times as necessary to get a complete measurement
- MEASURE AGAIN!
- Always measure more than once until you get the same number twice
- Find your size in the chart for the perfect fit
Limited Sizing Chart
|Our Size||Your Head Measurement
|S/M||22 1/8 - 22 3/4||55 - 57|
|L/XL||22 7/8 - 23 5/8||58 - 60|
- JHJohn H.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars2 weeks agoDRIFTER CRITIQUE
I recently bought a honey color Drifter Hat made by The American Hat Company.
It's a felt Hat and has an extremely aggressive stiffness when you first put it on your head. This, as I have researched, is normal for a quality product. Like any good Hat made this way , it is very stiff. Even to the point of being slightly uncomfortable. This is normal and to be expected. The key, as I've discovered, is to wear the hat in intervals . 30 minutes at a time is a descent beginning. Seriously guys, just keep working with the Hat. Let your head take a little abuse, and I promise it will work. The key is that when you let it break in gradually, you "WILL" get the perfect fit for your head. Get it?
Good luck.AHAmerican Hat Makers2 weeks ago
You look amazing! Thank you so much for you review. If there's anything that we can do for you, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone call at 1 (831) 722-3324. Thank you for supporting American Hat Makers.
- NMNoah M.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars5 months agoGood Quality Hat!
This is my first western hat, and I was drawn to it's character, charm & the fact it doesn't look like all the other brand new hats off the shelf. Of course everyone likes their hats a certain way, but the "Stock" shape the hat came with is a great starting point or if you prefer you can also make it custom to your liking (I bent both the top & bottom parts of the brim ever so slightly down to aid in water displacement & run off).AHAmerican Hat Makers5 months ago
Thank you for your feedback, Noah. Good to know that you are happy with your hat.
- BRBlake R.Verified ReviewerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars8 months agoBeautiful hat.
Hat fits great. Felt is great quality and will last a long time. Definitely recommend this hat if you don’t want one that feels too crisp and uncomfortable like it’s brand new.AHAmerican Hat Makers8 months ago
Thank you so much, Blake! We’re glad that you love our hats as much as we do. They will surely last for a long time. :)
- DSDale S.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars8 months agoOne of a kind!
Love my new Drifter - Distressed Felt Cowboy Hat from American Hat Makers! Every time I wear it (which is often) I get complements.AHAmerican Hat Makers8 months ago
Thank you, Dale! Your review means a lot to us and it helps spread the word about our business to other customers like you!
- JFJames F.Verified BuyerI recommend this productHow many American Hat Maker Hats do you have? I have 5-10Rated 5 out of 5 stars10 months agolove it.
The head n home team and Mr Watrous really captured that western look.AHAmerican Hat Makers10 months ago
Thanks, James! You look great with the hat! :)
- MMikeI recommend this productFace Type? RoundHead Shape Round OvalHow many American Hat Maker Hats do you have? This is my 2ndRated 5 out of 5 stars10 months agoMy best hat
This hat is made with love and I will keep it with love. Can’t get enough of this hat and it transforms any look into magicAHAmerican Hat Makers10 months ago
Thank you, Mike! Keep the nice photos coming! You look great with the hat by the way! :)
- JPJohn P.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 4 out of 5 stars1 week agoNice hat
The felt is harder than I expected but still love the hat. Please think about marking some soft felt distressed hats.AHAmerican Hat Makers1 week ago
Thank you for your review. We will try our best to provide the best hats for our customers. If there's anything that we can help you with, please contact us via email at email@example.com or via phone call 1 (831) 722-3324. Thanks so much for supporting American Hat Makers.
- GHGiselle H.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars3 months agoMy best hat
I’m a woman who loves to wear hats, but rarely have occasion to do so. I first saw the Drifter in the amber color on a good (male) friend of mine, and was instantly taken with it. Luckily, he forgot and left it at my house for a few weeks, during which time I wore it around the house and fantasized about having one.
You can guess how this ends. I bought one just like it. The burnishing and the detail on this hat are out of this world. The hat is very comfortable and flattering. The only accessory I wish AH would offer is a stampede strap. When I’m outdoors, I’m usually in the country in very windy conditions, and hate to see this wonderful hat go flying. I got a chin/stampede strap from Etsy and put it on, but the quality and installation would have been much better if it had come from AH.
- ACAlex C.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars4 months agoGreat hat
Looks good color perfect, not like anything else
- TITony I.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars4 months agoLove it!
It is really a great looking hat. The quick response to my question about forming the hat was appreciated. I had to do an exchange since the hat was damaged in shipping. That process went very smooth. I can see me wearing this hat for many years to come.😎